When you browse the web, you leave a digital footprint. It’s information about your device and the way you use it online.
We just want to let you know that we’ll collect this information about you. Most websites do this.
We use this information to deliver the website to you. We also use it for other things, which we think help you and us.
We’ve put this notice together to explain this.
By the way, when we say “we” this means the HSBC group of companies and our trusted partners who provide services to us.
These include our:
- Technology providers
- Cybersecurity companies
- Social media partners
- Advertising partners
The data controller for this website (hsbc.com) and its sub-domains (e.g. internationalservices.hsbc.com ) and for the processing activities carried out on these websites is HSBC Holdings plc, established in the UK. As such, this notice follows the UK’s data protection requirements. We’ve set out contact details at the end of this notice if you need to reach us.
Our privacy notices
This is our website notice.
We have other notices. Some of these may apply to you as well. It depends on how you choose to interact with us.
- Public website notice (you are here): this notice covers parts of this website where you don’t need a password (like this page)
- HSBC has a range of full privacy notices, which are relevant to a wider range of interactions and activities such as personal banking. These are our main privacy notices and contain more information to read alongside this notice. They are country/region/interaction specific and will tell you more details, such as the full company names of HSBC’s data controllers in those countries and regions, and the products and services they cover. They also tell you how HSBC uses your personal information in general for those products and services and in those countries and regions. You can read them by visiting the website for the relevant product or service, or you can contact your customer services team for a copy. You can find details of these websites on our Contact us page
- Cookie notice: this notice covers how we collect information from your web browser or mobile device
- Other notices: some HSBC apps or parts of our websites have their own privacy notices. For example, our mobile apps have privacy notices. There are also privacy notices that explain how HSBC will collect and use your personal information when you register an interest in/apply for a job in the different countries and regions where we operate.
You can usually find our privacy notices in the footer of the webpage that you are on. If you’re using an app, it will usually be in the menu.
Personal information collected by this website
We collect information when you use our website. We also do this when you visit one of our social media sites.
When you view our website or social media sites, we can see:
- What you click
- What you view
- How long you spend on pages
- Your device and internet connection details such as: type of device you’re using, IP address and details about your internet connection, technical details such as your screen size and the software you’re using, such as your web browser
- Your country or region (not exactly where you are unless we ask permission)
- Your unique advertising or other identification numbers allocated to your browser or device
You may also have reached this website by following a link from an e-mail. When you open an email from us, we may be able to tell:
- That you’ve opened it
- What links in the email you click on
When you fill in a form on our website, we can see what you type.
If you send us a message or complete a form, we may collect information you tell us.
Some of this data is collected by:
- Our partners: these may be website hosts or social media sites
- Cyber-security filtering technology: this keeps our website safe from fraud and crime
- Cookies and similar technology: these are set on your device by us and our trusted partners.
We don’t often know exactly who you are from this data. But sometimes we may connect this data with other information we hold about you.
- If you browse our website and then access online banking, we may connect this data to you. The next time you visit, we may still link that data to you
- If you browse our website while logged into social media accounts, then our partners may be able to connect this data to those accounts
- It might be possible to connect your browsing data to personal data held by third parties.
We use your data when it is in our legitimate interests.
This means we need to have a valid and lawful reason to use your data and balance this with your interests.
How we use this personal information
To deliver the website
We use your information to operate the website, monitor how well it is working and make improvements to it. Most websites do this.
To provide you with information
- Respond to your questions
- Provide you with information, products or services you have requested or which we feel may interest you
- Provide you with alerts or updates if you sign up for them
We may need to share your information with other companies within the HSBC Group to provide you with information you have requested (for example, if you have raised a question regarding your products and services). If we do this, the relevant full privacy notice will also apply to how we use your information.
To improve our business
We use your information to:
- Understand how you use our services
- View trends in product offerings
- Develop well targeted offers and products
- Find offers and products that may be of interest to you
- Make our services better for you
- Learn how useful our marketing is and make it better
Security and protection
We use your information to help protect you and ourselves against fraud or crime. For example, our service providers look at all use of our website to help block malicious activity. This helps keep you and us safe.
Personalising our website
When you visit our website, we may use data we collect to make the site reflect you. This could include:
- Tailoring our website content and services for you
- Showing your information or updates that might be useful for you
- Showing products or services that we think will be of interest to you
When we advertise online, we may share your information with our advertising partners. We may ask our advertising partner to use that information to:
- Check if you hold an account with them
- Choose which adverts to send to you
- Send our adverts to you
- Exclude you from adverts, e.g. if the advert is for a service you already use
- Advertise to people who have a similar profile to you or share your interests
- Identify what other marketing may be of interest to you
- Understand how useful our marketing is and make it better
HSBC uses social media to:
- Help connect with you
- Share information about our products and services
Sometimes these involve using your data.
Social media platforms may let you choose what advertising you receive. You should contact them for more information.
When you are in the European Union and use an HSBC page on Facebook, Meta Platforms Ireland Limited (‘Meta Ireland’) and HSBC collect information about you. When you are in the UK and use an HSBC page on Facebook, Meta Platforms, Inc. (‘Meta Platforms’) and HSBC collect information about you. This includes:
- What you click on: if you start a messenger conversation
- What you view: when you hover over a link or have an event page on screen
- What you say: like comments or reactions
- Your actions: like sharing or recommending
- Your activity: how long you spend on pages, date and time of actions or websites you visited before you took the action
- Your location: country or region. This is not your precise location unless you have provided this in your user profile and you are logged-in
- Your device and internet connection
- Your Facebook profile details and user ID
HSBC has access to this information to use for reporting, insights and marketing purposes and so do Meta Ireland and Meta Platforms.
This helps HSBC improve our offering on Facebook and create better marketing. HSBC may also see this information if HSBC has communicated with you on Facebook. HSBC does this because it helps us know who we’re speaking to.
Within the European Union, Meta Ireland is a ‘joint controller’, and within the UK, Meta Platforms is a ‘joint controller’, with us in law for processing where we collect information about you:
- From your actions on our Facebook page
- Through the Facebook pixel on our website
We and Meta Ireland and Meta Platforms respectively have agreed to share some responsibilities to protect your personal data, by:
- Making sure we each have a legal basis for joint processing
- Honouring your legal rights in respect of your data
- Ensuring security of joint processing
You can contact HSBC about how we do this. You can also contact Meta Ireland if you are in the EU or Meta Platforms if you are in the UK about what they do. This includes exercising your legal rights in respect of the data Meta Ireland and Meta Platforms, respectively collect and retain themselves.
Further details of how Meta Ireland and Meta Platforms process your personal information, the legal basis it relies on, your rights and Facebook’s contact details can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy
We think carefully about how we use your information. We always aim to use it in a way that’s fair to you. You might prefer us not to use it for some purposes.
You have a legal right to:
- Ask us to provide you with copies of your personal information, make corrections or sometimes ask us to delete it
- Object to our processing of your information in some circumstances. For example, to ask us not to share your personal information for online advertising
- Complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office by visiting ico.org.uk or to the data protection regulator in the country or region where you are
- We may not always be able to stop processing your information, such as if we’re using it to help protect you or others
Other important information
We have three more things to tell you.
- Transfers: This website is operated by HSBC Holdings plc, which is registered in the United Kingdom. We will process your information in accordance with applicable data privacy law, including UK data privacy laws. We may transfer your information outside of the United Kingdom and the European Economic Area. If this happens your information may be transferred to a country or region whose laws do not have the same level of protection, but we will put appropriate safeguards in place
- Security: we’ll use a range of measures to keep your information safe and secure, such as encryption
- Storage: we keep your information in line with our data retention policy. We do this to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and for our legitimate purposes
Our other privacy notices contain more information about these topics.
We’re always happy to hear from you.
You can contact our Data Protection Officer at:
For the attention of: the DPO
HSBC Holdings plc
Customer Service Centre
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time, and you’ll always be able to find the most recent version on this site.
Last updated: 26 May 2023
Thank you for reading this privacy notice.
HSBC is committed to ensuring that the information on this website, including this privacy notice, is accessible to the widest possible audience and by those using assistive technologies. For more information, please visit our Accessibility page.