Data Science and Engineering Internship
Whether you are still studying or are a recent graduate with an Applied Mathematics, Machine Learning, Statistical or related scientific degree, our Data Science and Engineering Internship offers the opportunity to experience HSBC’s Data Business within our Global Banking and Markets division.
Our mission is to drive informed decision-making and to solve complex problems by using the latest technologies to rapidly implement insights, transform data and to deploy scalable distributed algorithms.
What you will do
With our Data Science and Engineering Internships, you’ll spend a minimum of ten weeks taking part in a range of activities, projects and networking events. After an induction, where you will learn about our business, culture and how we operate, you will join the first of three rotations in our Data Science and Engineering business areas. This will give you an insight into our different businesses and the variety of opportunities available at HSBC. You will be part of a project team that will allow you to develop your analytical skills in various fields. This could be building and changing predictive analytical solutions, big data pipelines, data science and machine learning. You will collaborate with senior leaders and colleagues to create and implement quantitative solutions using different analytical principles. You will also attend educational presentations and workshops throughout your internship to enable you to keep up to date with the fast-paced environment of Data Science and Engineering.
Who does this suit?
As well as the specialist skills and experience you bring, we want people who look for ways to make a real difference for our clients.
We are looking for dedicated, collaborative and motivated people who are:
- Committed researchers. Our markets and client needs are constantly changing. You should always be curious; questioning ideas and showing a keen interest in learning about our methods
- Agile workers. You will work in a fast-paced environment where everything evolves quickly. You’ll maintain momentum by promoting agile working and ensuring we constantly deliver for our clients
- Analytical thinkers. You’ll need a good eye for detail, a creative mind for analysing trends, and the courage to adopt new analytical methods
- Team players. We collaborate by listening to new ideas, as well as voicing our own, in order to deliver and develop the best service for our clients
- Data enthusiasts. This programme will develop your statistical knowledge, passion for data or any programming skills you may already hold. You’ll gain a deep understanding of the theoretical grounds of machine learning and mathematical frameworks
What can this lead to?
If you excel in your internship, we shall consider you for a role within one of our Data Science and Engineering teams. You could be placed in a more specialised position that suits your personality and skills, working alongside like-minded colleagues who share a passion for backing up client decisions with solid data. This internship is just the beginning of many career opportunities at HSBC.
Using data at HSBC (duration 3:06)
Building partnerships that last
HSBC’s Leanne Cutts discusses the value of sports and cultural partnerships to the bank.
Road-testing the electric dream
Why is HSBC’s Global Head of Research planning to travel across Europe in an electric car?
Breaking records in Dubai
Find out how diversity and pedal power helped HSBC employees achieve a Guinness World Record.