Commercial Banking Internship
Whether you’re a psychology student who understands what motivates people or a mathematician who loves number crunching, our Commercial Banking Internship provides the opportunity to explore how your skills can be adapted to working in an international bank.
As the world’s leading international commercial, trade and payments bank, Commercial Banking helps make business work. We are the only bank with the depth and reach to support customers with all their financial needs, providing them with end-to-end banking solutions and advice wherever they choose to do business. This is our differentiator – and we’re leveraging it to open up a world of opportunity for our customers.
We encourage you to apply for your programme of choice as soon as possible as we recruit on a rolling basis and may close applications before the advertised date if all vacancies are filled.
On our paid internship you will take part in practical and interpersonal skills training, while getting to know how our Commercial Banking business works. Your placement could be in one of our Commercial centres or support functions.
What you can expect
We are continuously looking for new ways to improve our business customer’s experience and we welcome your fresh perspective. You will work within a diverse team to exceed customer expectations and support their business’s growth. To ensure Commercial Banking is equipped for the present and future, we use new technology to help us to interact better with our clients. You will have the opportunity to learn about these technologies, how they benefit our business and how they are used in our product teams.
What you will do
This internship aims to give you an idea of where you could fit within our business. To help you explore your interests and gain confidence in your abilities, you will gain exposure to a customer-facing role, where you can learn about our international capabilities and the 1.5 million business customers our Commercial Bank serves. Whatever degree you are doing, you will be supported to find an area you can succeed in, gaining the skills that are necessary to make your mark.
Life in Commercial Banking (duration 1:31)
Who does this suit?
We are looking for collaborative and dedicated people who are:
- Sociable networkers. From clients to colleagues, you can have an active social role, putting our customers at the heart of what you do. You will form trusted relationships, working together to find the right solution for the right client
- Diverse thinkers. Bringing fresh ideas to the table will get you noticed in a dynamic and important area of our bank. With your energised, courageous, and proactive attitude, you can identify areas of improvement quickly and find better ways of developing them
- Curious learners. Our internship is all about immersing yourself in what we have to offer. We encourage you to learn and listen as much as you can in order to build relationships based on mutual respect. This will not only help you to understand what we do, but will help you on your way to become an expert in it too
- Team players. You will work alongside leaders and peers across an international network in order to connect businesses with opportunities. So, it is vital you bring a team-orientated attitude to your approach
- Digital problem solvers. The role of a Commercial Bank is changing, becoming much more technology-focused and entrepreneurial. This means we need you to be courageous and proactive when searching for better solutions and making use of the resources we have around us – such as other business areas and new technology
What can this lead to?
If you excel here, you will be considered for our Commercial Banking Graduate Programme, where you will have the opportunity to build an international network and collaborate with clients in both developed and developing markets, helping to make a real difference to the communities where we operate.
Helping a space business reach for the stars
We’ve financed a space electronics inventor to bring satellite technology to market.
Our Vision helps companies Go for growth
HSBC’s virtual community is helping businesses in Hong Kong to bounce back from the pandemic.
Shareholders back HSBC’s net zero commitments
A special resolution on climate change has been approved at our 2021 Annual General Meeting.