HSBC volunteers in Thailand
Dependable, and doing the right thing
At HSBC we put great emphasis on our values. We want to ensure that our employees feel empowered to do the right thing and to act with courageous integrity. By doing so we will meet the expectations of society, customers, regulators and investors.
Our values describe the character of HSBC and reflect the best aspects of our heritage. They define who we are as an organisation and what makes us distinctive. By operating in accordance with our values we are:
- Standing firm for what is right, delivering on commitments, being resilient and trustworthy
- Taking personal accountability, being decisive, using judgment and common sense, empowering others
Open to different ideas and cultures
- Communicating openly, honestly and transparently, welcoming challenge, learning from mistakes
- Listening, treating people fairly, being inclusive, valuing different perspectives
Connected to customers, communities, regulators and each other
- Building connections, being aware of external issues, collaborating across boundaries
- Caring about individuals and their progress, showing respect, being supportive and responsive
To ensure that everyone who works for HSBC lives by these values we have made them a key part of every individual's annual performance review.
By setting the highest standards of behaviour our aim is that all of our employees and customers can be proud of our business
HSBC Group Chief Executive