The International Management Programme (IM) offers a diverse career, providing the opportunity to work in varied roles and geographies. With more than 370 IMs deployed in over 50 countries, the programme provides us with the flexibility to move our IMs around the world to support business demands across the Group. Ongoing global mobility remains a fundamental requirement for all IMs. The programme also helps to prepare talented individuals for succession to senior Group positions.
Who can apply?
To be considered for this programme, you will:
- Be an existing HSBC employee who has completed one of HSBC’s Graduate Programmes
- Show evidence of high performance and high potential relative to peers
- Evidence commitment to HSBC’s values and business principles
- Be a genuine high performer with clear leadership potential and technical expertise
- Demonstrate the ability to make an immediate impact and deliver in new and changing situations, and the ability to operate in ambiguous and complex situations
- Demonstrate significant achievements both within and outside the workplace
- Have to commit to ongoing global mobility
- Possess a full understanding of the IM proposition, lifestyle and level of personal commitment required
- Have an aptitude to learn different languages
What to expect
IMs are formally aligned to a Global Business, Global Function or HSBC Technology and Services. Junior Executive IMs can expect to be assigned to a new role approximately every two years. The roles can vary significantly, but IMs can expect to be challenged at all times. The scope and duration of roles will increase, with assignments lasting three to five years, as an IM becomes more senior.
Assignments can be in any location in which HSBC operates and may require a new language to be learned. IMs require a specific set of qualities to cope with and build upon the challenges they face. They are excited by the prospect of constant change that comes with working across geographies and in a variety of roles. IMs are adaptable and flexible.
Learning, development and support
On the programme, you can typically expect to:
- Build a portfolio of banking and leadership skills
- Develop in-depth knowledge and experience within your business specialisation
- Gain exposure to both emerging and developed markets
- Enhance your personal development through on-the-job learning and formal training