Who can apply?
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Currently be a student who will graduate no later than June 2014, or
- Be a graduate with a GPA of at least 3.2
- Possess a proven track record in sales or customer service
- Demonstrate leadership capabilities gained through volunteer, community or extracurricular activities
- Have the legal right to work in the USA
Internships are also available, according to business needs, for students who will graduate no later than June 2014.
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, colleagues and a wide network of diverse peers, you'll be encouraged to take on responsibility and bring new ideas to the table. You will be valued as an individual and for the contribution you make.
Over the two- or three-year programme, you’ll undertake a number of placements. The placements are varied, but could encompass the following functions: Retail Banking and Wealth Management, Retail Network, Business Banking, Marketing, Business Performance, Brokerage/Wealth, Analytics and Human Resources.
You will gain valuable experience in both our branch and corporate environments through a combination of training, formal work assignments and project work. With placements in different areas, you will be exposed to retail and business banking services, sales and customer experience, while developing a network of contacts at all levels. In addition, you will be introduced to a wide variety of supporting functions that drive our strategy of focusing on international connectivity and wealth. These include product support, operations, marketing and risk management.
Positions are located in New York City and Buffalo although you will be expected to work short term in various locations such as Washington DC, Miami, Los Angeles or San Francisco to achieve a broad perspective of the business.
If you successfully complete the programme, you will be eligible to apply for permanent roles in HSBC based on your performance, career aspirations and business needs.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will equip you with the skills and experience required to start a successful career with HSBC, as well as the opportunity to develop your professional network with colleagues around the world.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- The opportunity to gain a deep understanding of the business
- The opportunity to develop core banking, management and leadership skills
- Support of colleagues, a buddy and mentor, HSBC leadership and a programme manager
- The opportunity to gain experience and a thorough understanding of our culture and business strategy