Who can apply?
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Have a minimum 2:1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted or gained in any discipline)
- Have a grade A or higher in both mathematics and English at GCSE or equivalent
- Be nationally mobile
- Preferably have a previous customer service or sales experience
The start dates for 2014 are April and October. You only need to make one application to your preferred start date/location. Duplicate applications will be declined.
Should your first choice no longer be available we will make contact with you to discuss available alternative options.
Apply now - South and East - October 2014 start
Apply now - South West and Wales - October 2014 start
Apply now - Midlands - October 2014 start
Apply now - North - October 2014 start
Apply now - London - October 2014 start
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, colleagues and a wide network of diverse peers, you will be encouraged to take on responsibility and bring new ideas to the table. You will be valued as an individual and for the contribution you make.
Over the two-year programme, we will develop you to become one of our next generation of managers who support our branch network. Retail banking is one of our core activities in the UK, and working within our high street branch network, you will be at the forefront of it. With placements across different areas of retail banking, you will learn how to manage a branch and discover how to move it forward.
The first 12 months will see you tackle placements in the branch network, understanding our customers, products and processes. You will gain experience in building relationships and managing operational integrity, along with taking responsibility for your personal performance.
During the second year, you will have an option to specialise, perhaps within our Premier proposition, wealth business or regional management office. These placements will help provide more detail on how the retail and wealth business is managed. Your final placement will be built around leading a team and managing and motivating people to achieve their targets.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will equip you with the skills and experience required to start a successful career with HSBC, as well as the opportunity to develop your professional network with colleagues around the world.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- A residential induction course at one of our training centres
- Intensive on-the-job learning
- A personal buddy
- A local regional manager to oversee your progress
- Support (including generous study leave) to study for the IFS School of Finance Professional Diploma in Banking Practice and Management
- Additional projects, such as working on community action initiatives, fundraising for a nominated charity or planning promotional events, to further enhance your development
- Regular events to help you build a vital network of business contacts