Who can apply?
To be considered for this programme, you will:
- Have a minimum 2:1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted or gained in any discipline)
- Have a grade A or higher in both Mathematics and English at GCSE or equivalent
- Be nationally mobile
The start dates for 2014 are April and October. You only need to make one application to your preferred start date and business stream (ie either Commercial or Corporate). Duplicate applications will be declined.
Should your first choice no longer be available we will make contact with you to discuss available alternative options.
Apply now - Commercial Banking - October 2014 start
Apply now - Corporate Banking - October 2014 start
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, colleagues and a wide network of diverse peers, you will be encouraged to take on responsibility and bring new ideas to the table. You will be valued as an individual and for the contribution you make.
Over the two-year programme, you will develop in either Commercial Banking or Corporate Banking, and we will ask you for a preference as part of the selection process. Both streams are designed to provide you with a thorough, all-round understanding of managing business customer relationships.
On the Commercial Banking stream, your first placement will entail:
- Learning essential customer service and technical skills
- Taking on the role of a Commercial Officer and putting your knowledge into practice by visiting customers to analyse business proposals and evaluate credit risk
- Spending nine months as a Business Specialist in one of our branches, developing your ability to manage relationships and gaining an understanding of the local business community
On the Corporate Banking stream, your first placement will entail:
- Working closely with our Corporate Banking Managers, supporting them in managing the relationship with our customers
- Helping prepare lending applications, looking after the day-to-day banking requirements of customers and learning how to assess a business from the bank's perspective
- Spending some time researching potential new business and potentially getting involved in the pitching process
For your second year, in either Commercial Banking or Corporate Banking, you will undertake placements in our International Product business areas. In this phase, you will build and develop your knowledge of commercial insurance and investments, invoice and equipment finance, payments and cash management or trade services.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will equip you with the skills and experience required to start a successful career with HSBC, as well as the opportunity to develop your professional network with colleagues around the world.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- A residential induction course at one of our training centres
- Intensive on-the-job learning and formal training courses
- On the Commercial Banking stream, you will build your understanding of small- to medium-sized enterprises with turnovers of up to GBP35 million
- On the Corporate Banking stream, you will find yourself developing sound financial, business analysis and relationship-building skills
- Personal mentor/buddy
- Support (including generous study leave) to study for the IFS School of Finance Professional Diploma in Banking Practice and Management
- Regular events to help you build a vital network of business contacts
- Additional projects, such as working on community action initiatives, fundraising for a nominated charity, or planning promotional events, to drive your development further