Who can apply?
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Be a second or penultimate-year student in any discipline (graduates who are interested in a career in the IT industry will also be considered)
- Ideally have a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Have a good command of written and verbal English
- Be proficient in any of the following programming languages: C++, C#, Java, Visual Basics, or SQL
- Have the legal right to work in Hong Kong
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, colleagues and a wide network of diverse peers, you'll be encouraged to take on responsibility and bring new ideas to the table. You will be valued as an individual and for the contribution you make.
Over the one-year placement, you will be provided with the opportunities and exposure needed to progress to a successful technology career in banking. The opportunities cover a diverse range of technology roles across the breadth of our business, from Retail Banking and Wealth Management to Commercial Banking and Global Banking and Markets. During your placement, you’ll experience the challenges of a technology-driven business environment, contributing to meaningful projects that have a direct impact on our business success.
You can expect practical training that will complement your academic studies, embedding our values while growing your career. During the programme, you’ll be challenged to use your talents and academic knowledge to add value to the bank and improve your professional and personal skills.
If you deliver outstanding performance during the placement, you’ll be given priority for a permanent position upon graduation, subject to achieving a minimum upper second class honours degree.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will equip you with the skills and experience required to start a successful career with HSBC, as well as the opportunity to develop your professional network with colleagues around the world.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- On-the-job learning to develop your technical knowledge
- Wide business exposure
- Regular coaching and performance assessment
- Senior management networking session
- Monthly IT Speaker Series – an opportunity to hear from senior managers on various business activities
- Student Learn and Share Sessions
- Student projects
- Leadership exposure through IT Student Committee