Our international team of specialists advise customers on foreign exchange, credit, rates and debt, providing strategic solutions as markets fluctuate and change. While our operations stretch worldwide, we have particular strengths in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America.
MBA Summer Associate Internship
The aim of the Summer Associate Internship is for you to develop skills that will help you become a well-connected, full-time associate at HSBC in the future.
Over 10 weeks, you will build your technical knowledge, analytical and communication skills, and demonstrate your initiative and collaborative spirit within a team. Your line manager will set measurable objectives and manage your performance as well as offer you support and guidance throughout.
Who can apply?
This internship is open to first-year MBA students around the world.
To be considered for a placement, you will:
Apply now - Americas
- Have a passion for understanding financial markets
- Have up-to-date market knowledge
- Have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and varied work environment
- Be adaptable to changes in markets and our services
- Be highly numerate and analytical
Apply now - Asia Pacific
Apply now - EMEA
What to expect
After a one-week induction, including IT and technical training tailored to Global Markets, you will complete a nine-week placement within a team in Sales, Trading or Debt Capital Markets, where you will work on a diverse range of customer-oriented projects. Because the programme is non-rotational, the team you will join will be discussed with you during the interview process and matched to your specific skill set.
Sales: On a daily basis, you will focus on developing and nurturing relationships with customers, communicating general market views and specific investment recommendations.
Trading: You will help trade orders for customers and keep them updated with news and order flows. You will also communicate vital information such as pre-market indications and trading ideas to Sales.
Debt Capital Markets: Along with developing financial modelling skills, you will gather data to be presented to customers and help create and implement debt capital and equity-related strategies.
We will offer you:
- First-hand experience on a live project or a number of transactions
- Both practical experience and classroom training so you will gain the right balance of knowledge and technical business skills
- Regular business and social events to complement your day-to-day role so that you can build your network and establish your name
- Insight into HSBC's competitive advantages in international markets and the financial services industry
Learning, development and support
We are serious about your learning and development and want you to get the most out of your internship with HSBC. That is why we combine hands-on experience with technical and behavioural skills training, and give you the opportunity to build strong networks with other interns and business leaders.
We will provide you with:
- A buddy who you can share ideas with, and who will give you guidance and support
- Regular business feedback on your performance
- Opportunities to establish a solid network across Global Banking and Markets
- Encouragement to take the initiative and be proactive
- A work environment that values diversity, respect and a healthy work-life balance
The Summer Associate Internship also acts as the main pipeline for students who may want to join the full-time Global Marketing MBA Associate Programme. Students who perform well throughout their internship will be considered for a full-time position at HSBC once they have graduated from their course.
On the MBA Summer Associate Internship, we want you to take the initiative, collaborate and feel like a part of our global teams. But most of all, we hope that the internship will give you invaluable experience that will inspire you to develop a lasting career with us.