The China Banker Development Programme is for graduates and students looking to become a banking generalist with a leading global bank. The programme provides opportunities to gain banking knowledge, analytical decision-making capabilities and people management skills and, on completion, progress quickly into your first leadership role.
Who can apply?
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Have at least a bachelors’ degree from a recognised university (any discipline is acceptable)
- Be proficient in Chinese and English languages
- Demonstrate the management potential to make the most of the opportunities available
- Have the legal right to work in China
- Students who have gained up to three years’ work experience will be considered
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, colleagues and a wide network of diverse peers, you will be encouraged to take on responsibility and bring new ideas to the table. You will be valued as an individual and for the contribution you make.
Over the two-year programme, you will have the foundation to follow a long-term career path as a generalist banker. This means that your training will provide targeted exposure to different business streams: Commercial Banking, Retail Banking and Wealth Management, HSBC Technology and Services, and Legal and Compliance.
You should aspire to take on early management responsibility and continually develop your professional business knowledge and practical skills, learning from experts in the bank. With our international outlook, you can expect to work on cross-border deals, and there may be the opportunity to work away from your home location. Although the generalist knowledge you’ll gain will be ideal preparation for a senior-level local or regional role in mainland China, international opportunities may be available where appropriate.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will equip you with the skills and experience required to start a successful career with HSBC, as well as the opportunity to develop your professional network with colleagues around the world.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- On-the-job experience through a series of placements in a diverse range of opportunities
- Exposure to banking functions and businesses in mainland China and Asia-Pacific
- Specific product and skills training in various banking segments
- Management, leadership and technical skills training
- Overseas training and programme offers for high performers
- A mentor (senior manager) to provide coaching and guidance
- Regular performance feedback and discussion