Applications are now closed.
Who can apply?
This programme is typically aimed at those in the later years of full-time secondary, sixth form or further education who are keen to get an introduction to what a career in financial services may be like.
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Be in full-time secondary or sixth form education and considering financial services as a career after school or university
- Be keen to find out what financial services is all about
- Be prepared to take a few selection tests
University undergraduates who are in higher education are not eligible for this programme
How to apply
To apply for the UK Work Experience Programme, please follow instructions below:
- Click on the Apply now link
- In the Keywords search box, enter 'Work Experience'
- In the Job Field, select 'Graduates & Internships'
- In the Location box, select 'Europe', then 'United Kingdom'. You can then choose a specific area if you prefer
- Apply to the job advert/s that you are interested in
What to expect
Supported by experienced managers, you will be shadowing colleagues and encouraged to ask questions to help you understand more about HSBC. Over the week, you will experience what it is like to work in one of our retail, commercial, operational or head office areas (subject to availability). You will get to know HSBC – our values, our history and exactly what we do – and gain an insight into actual jobs that you would be doing if you came to work for us full time. There will be an opportunity to work on a live project and share your ideas with managers.
If you later decide to go to university, you may want to come back on an internship programme and join one of our Graduate Development Programmes.
If you do not want to go to university, you can still apply for a job with us, and if successful, our expectation is that we will offer you a place on our Apprenticeship Programme. We will provide you with training as your career progresses and all the support you will need.
Learning, development and support
Our programme will provide you with an insight into what it is like to work for a global bank and help you decide your future career options.
Over the course of the programme, we typically offer:
- Real work experience
- Feedback on how you can develop yourself
- Tips on interview techniques and presentation skills
- Opportunities to meet lots of HSBC employees who will tell you about working life