With some 350 IMs deployed across 46 countries, the IM programme provides
the bank with the flexibility to move its IMs around the world to support business demands across the Group. The programme helps develop and prepare talented individuals for succession to senior Group positions, and ongoing global mobility remains a fundamental and contractual requirement for all IMs.
Who can apply?
To be considered for this programme, you will:
- Be an existing HSBC employee who has completed one of HSBC’s global graduate programmes
- Show evidence of high performance and high potential relative to peers
- Demonstrate commitment to HSBC’s values and business principles
- Be a genuine high performer with clear leadership potential and technical expertise
- Demonstrate the ability to make an immediate impact and deliver in new and changing situations, and the ability to operate in ambiguous and complex situations
- Demonstrate significant achievements both within and outside the workplace
- Have to commit to ongoing global mobility
- Possess a full understanding of the IM proposition, lifestyle and level of personal commitment required
- Cultural awareness and appreciation of different environments
- Have a professional approach that is adaptable and flexible
- Have an aptitude to learn different languages
What to expect
IMs are formally aligned to a Global Business, Global Function or HSBC Operations, Services and Technology. IMs can expect to be assigned to a new role approximately every two years. The roles can vary significantly, but IMs can expect to be challenged at all times. The scope and duration of roles will increase, with assignments lasting three to five years, as an IM becomes more senior.
Your assignments can be in any location in which HSBC operates and may require a new language to be learned. It is important to note that you will not be able to choose where or what your assignments are and you must be prepared to work in any of the countries and territories around the world in which HSBC has a presence. The prospect of constant change, challenges and the development that comes with working across geographies and in a variety of roles is one that excites you.
Learning, development and support
On the programme, you can typically expect to:
- Build a portfolio of banking and leadership skills
- Develop in-depth knowledge and experience within your business specialisation
- Gain exposure to both emerging and developed markets
- Enhance your personal development through on-the-job learning and formal training
- Have support from a dedicated IM HR team at Group